Friday, December 3, 2010

Ghost Pepper Sauce and the Quest for the Perfect Chip

Yesterday I made my Monthly trip to Cost Plus to replenish my stock of Sontava hot sauce.  (I'm currently up to about 2 bottles a week.)  While there I noticed they had a new sauce made by Dave's Gourmet (who is famous for its Dave's Insanity hot sauce) Made with Ghost peppers "the hottest pepper in the world.  I had seen this sauce before online but never pulled the trigger.  It cost $6.99 (cheaper than online with coupon) and there was no way I could say no.  I had to spend $30 so I could use my 10 off 30 coupon the rest of my items include 5 bottles of Sontava, 1 bottle of Sriracha and 3 Dark chocolate candy bars.


I have spiceir sauces in my collection (Mad Dog Revenge 1,000,000 Scoville units , Satans blood 800,000 Scoville units) but they are made from Habanero extract and simply provide heat not flavor.  This would be my first time trying the Ghost Pepper and I was to excited to see what it taste like

You don't look so tough to me.  I just found out I have a friend in San Diego who grows his own.  He told me that he would send me a couple very soon. I can't wait to have the real thing and I also plan to use the seeds to plant my own

 Peppers are rated by Scoville Units.  This chart will give you an Idea of what were dealing with.



Now that I got a new sauce to try I neede somthing to put on.  Lucky for me there was a farmers market going on right outside the doors of Cost Plus.  So I set forth to construct the perfect chip.


The first 2 ingredients are Basil and Garlic How could I resist

Pita Chips
Sauce and spreads are good but eventually you need something to put them on. This will work just fine.

I bought these the other day at the $.99 store and hadn't really tried them out yet


The final of ingredient 


Behold the Perfect Chip.

The Ghost pepper Sauce turned out to have a pretty nice flavor.  At first I thought it might be one of the sauces that you need either an eye dropper or a toothpick to apply but with the aid of the avocado and the oil in the garlic spread to  help neutralize it's intensity I was able to use it rather liberally. this was just the orderve and it was time make something for dinner 



I rolled out what little dough I had left from my Pizza the other night.  My Vegi drawer in the fridge was pretty empty so I decided to change things up a little bit.  I added a few spoonfuls of Bourbon Barbecue sauce, cilantro, asparagus and onion., topped with an  Avocado and washed down with some Double Arrogant Bastard Ale.  Once again I used the ghost pepper sauce  it was accompaniment to the barbecue pizza.  When I cook pizza I usually choose 3 hot sauces from my pantry to go with it, 1 jalapeño based, 1 habanero based, and 1 cayenne based.  From now on I may have to use 4.  Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce gets my thumbs up as a decent sauce on a scale of 1 to 10 for flavor I give it a 7 for heat it gets an 8.  Sontava (my current favorite) gets a 9 for flavor and a 6 for heat.







No comments:

Post a Comment