Monday, March 14, 2011

Gringo vegan in Mexico



I recently spent a couple weeks in Mexico for a race.  I wasn't quite sure what effects this would have on my diet.  I was prepared to eat meat if need be but lucky for me I randomly undertook this journey with 5 other vegans who really made it easy for me.

The first place we stopped for food in Mexico was a quesadilla restaurant. they had almost no food not cooked in lard


First meal grilled chilies with tortillas. Cost 8 pesos


Beans rice Vegan enchilada

Cactus

Soy tostada 



Komquats growing right outside my hotel


This the what I ate 90% of the time.  Avocado jalapeño onion tomato and tortilla


My buddies down the road camped at a place with a full garden I was able to do a little grazing at


Chives
Raddish


They were camping and had access to a full a kitchen (those lucky bastards)  this is where I want to stay next year



Fresh raw beets

Best grapefruit ever

After hiking 9miles of the race course we reached Los Olios


All the grapefruit you can eat.  
I had 3 my buddy Jamil had 9
Somehow I managed to keep my belly full the whole trip.  Almost every   I at a lot of bland beans at least 100 corn tortilla's and some really good local yellow potatoes at Mama Tita's restaurant.  I don't think I lost any weight but I definitely didn't gain any. 

 The bulk of my calories care  from usual suspects


Traditional Mexi-Vegan Lunch
I could of ate this for every meal 


Beer and Avocado on a 2 to 1 ratio

I really should be working on my race recap blog post  So this post shall abruptly end now 

No comments:

Post a Comment